WHERE ARE YOU?
Permaculture is strongly based on PLACE and RELATIONSHIPS. An important element of learning permaculture is developing a deeper understanding of YOUR PLACE and YOUR RELATIONSHIP to PLACE. Take some time to look over these questions. How familiar are you with wherever you call home?
1. Can you trace the water you drink from precipitation to tap?
2. How many days until the moon is full and new?
3. Describe the type of soil around your house.
4. What were the primary subsistence techniques of the culture(s) that lived in your area before you.
5. Name five native edible plants in your bioregion and their seasons of availability.
6. From what direction do winter storms generally come in your region?
7. Where does your garbage go?
8. Where does your sewage go?
9. How long is the growing season in your area?
10. Name five native trees in your area.
11. Name five resident and any migratory birds in your area.
12. What is the land use history by humans in your bioregion, within the past century?
13. What primary geological events/processes influenced the land forms of your bioregion?
14. What animal or plant species have become extinct in your bioregion?
15. From where you are reading this point to the North.
16. Name one of the first spring wildflowers to bloom in your area.
17. What kinds of rocks and minerals are found in your area.
18. Were the stars out last night?
19. Name some beings (nonhuman) which share your space.
20. Do you celebrate the turning of the winter and summer solstice?
21. How many people live next door to you? What are their names?
22. How much gasoline do you use in a week, on average?
23. What form of energy costs you the most money?
24. What is the largest wilderness area in your bioregion?
25. What are the greatest threats to the integrity of the ecosystem in your bioregion?
26. What is the name of the creek or river which defines your watershed?
27. What geographic and/or biotic features define your bioregion?
28. What exotic plants or trees can you name in your bioregion?
29. What partfcular place or places have special meaning to you?
Sign in and post your answers in the comments section below.